The historical village of Caledonia began as a small farming community,
settled about 1828 on Ox Bow Prairie, 3 to 4 miles west of Magnolia. The
village was laid out by Asahel Hannum, Jervas Gaylord and Obed Graves.
Caledonia had a Methodist and a Baptist church. The post office was named Ox
Bow because Pulaski County already had a post office named Caledonia.
Contributed 10 Dec 2018 by Norma Hass from Living History of Illinois, where much more information is available at livinghistoryofillinois.com