William P. HOYLE. This gentleman is credited with the ownership of one of the best farms in Magnolia township, his residence being on section 4, and all the buildings and machinery found thereon are in keeping with the enterprise and progressive spirit of the proprietor. Upon his present farm he first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 4th of July, 1849.
His father, William HOYLE, was a native of Berkshire, England, and a son of John HOYLE, who, on crossing the Atlantic to America, settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, where his death occurred. In his native land the father grew to manhood, coming to this country when twenty-two years of age and making his first home in Jefferson county, Ohio. He married Miss Edith NEWPOR, and to them were born three children – Elma, widow of Jonathan WILSON, living in Grundy county, Illinois, and Lindley and Nathan Edward, both dying unmarried. For his second wife, Mr. HOYLE chose Mrs. Sarah SHARPLESS, nee WHEATLEY, a native of Pennsylvania. By her marriage with R. SHARPLESS she had four children – Mrs. Elizabeth GUSS and Mrs. Jeannette J. ONG, Mrs. Adeline GUDGELL and Mrs. Narcissa MURPHY, the three younger now deceased.
In 1836 the father emigrated to Putnam county, where he was numbered among the pioneers, and was one of the first to plant an orchard in this section, having the apple trees brought by boat at a very early day and always taking a great interest in fruit culture. He lost his right arm by catching it in the first threshing machine ever brought to this locality. In connection with his brother, he introduced the first reaper here.
On his arrival Mr. HOYLE located on wild land on section 4, Magnolia township, where he continued to live for several years, greatly improving his place, and then removed to the farm now owned by our subject. He made many useful and valuable improvements upon the place, including a good dwelling, and there devoted his attention to farming and stock raising, having good grades of cattle, horses and hogs. Although he began life here in moderate circumstances, he became quite well-to-do, and his honorable, upright life won the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact. Quiet and unassuming, he always talked to the point, was a man of sound judgment and good business ability. By birthright he belonged to the Society of Friends and was one of the leading members and elder in his church. Being a strong abolitionist, he joined the republican party on its organization, which he supported up to the time of his death, January 9, 1876. The mother of our subject died in October, 1885. There were only two children by the second union, our subject, and Sarah L., who married William G. PARKER, a native of Ohio, by whom she has four children – Anna, Mary, William and Fred. She now resides in Pomona, California.
Mr. HOYLE, whose name introduces this sketch, grew to manhood upon his present farm, receiving his education in the district schools of the neighborhood, and assumed the management of the place on attaining his majority. On the 27th of May, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss Elvira HOYLE, who was born July 13, 1852, in Belmont county, Ohio, where their wedding was celebrated, and is a daughter of Benjamin and Julia (WILLIS) HOYLE, the two families being distantly related. For several years They lived where they now reside, but subsequently passed six years on section 9, Magnolia township, and seven years in the city of Henry. IN 1895, however, they returned to the old homestead, remodeling and enlarging the residence, and has built a large cattle barn and other outbuildings. Buying and selling stock has been his specialty, and he now owns twelve hundred and fifty-five acres of excellent land, well improved, in Magnolia township.
Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. HOYLE – Lizzie J., Sarah W., Warren J., Benjamin G., Hannah Marie, and Paul, deceased. The mother is a consistent member of the Congregational church, taking an active part in its work. Mr. HOYLE uses his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party, for two terms served as road commissioner, was a member of the city school board of Henry, and has also been school director in Magnolia township.
Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois published in 1896, page 499.