the present supervisor of Hennepin township, and a representative farmer and stock raiser of Putnam county, is actively engaged in his profitable occupation, making a specialty of the breeding of Chester White hogs. He was born in that township September 28, 1843, and is a son of Alahlon and Alary (Ford) Newburn, both natives of Ohio. Previous to their emigration to Illinois they resided near Dayton, whence they made the trip to Putnam county by team. They located on government land east of Florid, where they remained for some years; four years later were spent in Granville township, after which they lived on the farm now owned by nur subject. The father's death occurred at Peoria, February 14, 1895, at the age of seventy-eight years, and the mother died eiglit years previously. On coming to the county the father was almost penniless, but through industry, economy and perseverance succeeded in securing a good property, his homestead at one time consisting of three hundred and forty acres, which was later reduced to one hundred and sixty acres. His father, John Newburn, also came to the county, locating upon a farm near Florid, where he died during the boyhood of our subject, and his wife also passed away at that place.
The parental household included five children, namely: Alfred, who lived at home and died at the age of twenty years; Milton E., of this review ; Stephen, a resident of Long Pine, Brown county, Nebraska; Sarah, the wife of George Baxendale, of Peoria, and Aaron, who received a part of the old homestead, where he died at the age of twenty-three years, after a short married life of two years.
Until reaching his majority, Milton E. Newburn remained upon the home farm and then began the cultivation of his own farm in the vicinity, while he still continued to live at home for some years. Later he disposed of that property and secured another farm near Hennepin. It was in 1885 that he purchased his present farm, lying two miles from the city, which he personally operated until 1892, in the meantime devoting considerable attention to the breeding of Chester White hogs. For twenty years he has engaged in that business and has exhibited his stock at the state fairs in Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska; also at the St. Louis fairs and the World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago, in 1893. There he carried off premiums amounting to $1,600 on a herd of nineteen animals, at which time he had the whole world to compete with. Eclipse, No. 6233, which stands at the head of his herd, secured four sweepstakes. He has always adhered to the Chester White breed, is a most successful breeder of those animals and has done considerable advertising, but he finds that the fair exhibits have been the best methods of advertising. He raises about one hundred and fifty hogs annually, for which he finds a ready sale and they bring the highest prices in the market.
On the 1st of May, 1894, Mr. Newburn was united in marriage with Miss May Turner, of Hennepin, daughter of Oakes and Rebecca (Butler) Turner, who came to Illinois in the 30's and settled at Wyoming, Stark county. They spent their remaining days at Hennepin, the mother dying in 1884 and the father in 1888. In Hennepin the daughter was born May 16, 1850, and lived after the death of her parents in the home and was housekeeper for her brother until her marriage.
On the democratic ticket our subject was elected assessor and recently supervisor of his township, although the township usually goes republican, which fact plainly indicates his popularity. He takes an active interest in political affairs, attending the conventions of his party, and is well informed on the leading questions of the day. Formerly he took great delight in hunting, being an excellent marksman, but now gives his attention solely to his business interests. In addition to his farm he owns twenty acres of land adjoining Hennepin, having a neat and substantial home lying within the village limits, where he has resided since his marriage.
Source: The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois published in 1896, page 161.