Putnam County

CHARLES NASH

Charles N. Nash, a prosperous and worthy farmer residing on section 35, Hennepin township, was born November 17, 1859, on the old family homestead about a mile east of where he now lives. The Nash family trace their genealogy back to a very early date and have in book form, the ancestral record through many generations. The subject of this review is the eldest child of Martin Nash, who was born in Morgan county, Illinois, in 1830, and who in 1835 was brought to Putnam county by his father, Stephen Nash, so that the family became identified with the interests of this portion of the state in early pioneer times. Martin Nash was reared amid the wild scenes and environments of frontier life, spending his youth upon his father's farm. His educational privileges were little superior to those afforded by the ordinary common school of the early day, but by reading and observation, he greatly broadened his knowledge, becoming a well-informed man. He devoted his life to farming and for many years lived in a log house, but the years chronicled his progress in a business way, owing to his untiring industry and capable management. He left an estate of over three hundred acres of valuable land, all of which had been acquired through his own efforts. When seventeen years of age he became a member of the Union Grove Presbyterian church in Granville and in 1874 he aided in organizing and became one ov the charter members of the Congregational church in Hennepin. His political allegiance was given to the republican party, and he took an active interest in politics, always keeping well informed on questions and issues of the day. For about thirty-five years he served as school director and the cause of education had in him a stalwart champion, whose labors in its behalf were far-reaching and beneficial. In his later years he retired from active business cares and removed to Hennepin, where he died in 1896, suffering during the last three years from a stroke of paralysis.

Martin Nash was married twice. In 1859 he wedded Miss Charlotte Noble, a native of Ohio, who died in 1872, leaving four children: Charles N., of this review; Leonard W., who is living on a part of the old homestead ; Harriet B., who is the widow of Enos Colvin; and Mrs. Nellie Wintersheid, a resident of Tinley, Iowa. In 1874 Mr. Nash was again married, his second union being with Sarah J. Mead, a native of New York, whose parents came to this county in her girlhood days. She now lives in Hennepin.

Charles N. Nash pursued his education by attending the district schools for a short time and also spent a brief period in the schools of Hennepin. Prior to his marriage he went to Dakota, and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land, but at the end of about twelve/years he had to sell the property in order to raise money to secure medical aid for his wife. Her health was very poor and in spite of the best medical assistance that could be secured and the loving care of husband and family she passed away after a married life of nine years. In her maidenhood she was Miss Anna J. Sutcliffe, a daughter of Samuel Sutcliffe, also deceased. She was born in this county and by her marriage became the mother of one child, Charlotte E., a bright little maiden of eleven summers. Subsequently Mr. Nash married Miss Jessie Sutcliffe, a sister of his first wife, and they have one child, Samuel S., who was two years of age in March, 1906.

The home farm of the family comprises ninety-seven and a half acres of good land on section 35, Hennepin township, on which are substantial buildings for the shelter of grain and stock, together with a comfortable residence. This farm was left to Mr. Nash by his father, and he has made many modern improvements upon it, while the work of the fields is facilitated through the use of modern farm machinery. He carries on general agricultural pursuits and fears not that laborious attention to business which is so necessary an element in success. He belongs to the Congregational church of Hennepin and for nine years has been identified with the Old Fellows society. He is now serving for his second year as school director and in his political views is a republican, but has little aspiration for office, as the claims made upon his time and attention by his farm work are numerous and he prefers to capably manage those interests rather than to dissipate his energies over a broad field of activity.

Source: Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois authored by John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne in 1907, page 488.


Visit Our Neighbors
Bureau LaSalle
Marshall
Search the Archives